Paul Mutton's Curriculum Vitae
- Full title
- Mr Paul James Mutton BSc (Hons), MCIJ
- Date of birth
- Some time in 1979
- Near Bath, United Kingdom
- Email address
"It's been great working with you, Paul. Your writing is a dream, your focus is amazing, and your punctuality is surprising in authors, quite frankly. I'd work with you any day."
- Rael Dornfest, CTO at O'Reilly Media.
A-level exams taken at the Norton Knatchbull School, Ashford, Kent in 1998:
|A||Physics||Oxford & Cambridge|
- Graduated at the University of Kent at Canterbury in 2001 with first class honours in Computer Science (BSc Hons). Winner of the 2001 Institution Prize from the IEE for getting the top result in the year.
- Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.2.
- Submitted a Ph.D. thesis in Computer Science at the University of Kent in May 2005. Title: Force-directed Layout of Diagrams.
Key Knowledge and Qualities
- Learnt Java to a strict discipline at Europe's first Sun Authorised Academic Java Campus. I also supervise Java classes for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Experience of SQL and relational database design in an e-commerce environment.
- Understanding of UML and Z formal specification languages.
- Strong understanding of HTML, Perl, ASP, PHP, VRML, Java and awareness of key aspects of other web-based languages.
- Able to write clear documentation for a range of target audiences.
- Ability and willingness to learn new languages and concepts in a short period of time.
Relevant Experience and Achievements
- 3 months before university working for Marley Extrusions' central accounts and payroll.
- 2 months during first year at university working in Marley Extrusions' MIS department. Achievements included developing their intranet site and writing an Excel VBA application to provide users with automatic publishing of documents to their intranet site.
- 6 months implementing a robust e-commerce solution from scratch using ASP scripting on an NT Server platform and a SQL Server backend. Data was ported from an Oracle 7 database and the website custom built to the company's specifications, with close attention being paid to HCI issues. Subsequent responsibilities included maintaining and developing the final result.
- Various small freelance web design projects.
- Mailing list administrator and full committee member of the University of Kent Computing Society since 1999.
- Winner of a competition to redesign the University of Kent's Computer Science website. This took into account cross-browser compatibility issues and ease of use, resulting in a prize of £100 and an offer of employment.
- Computer Science Summer Internship at the University of Kent, scripting Perl CGI pages interacting with an Ingres database, setting up a web-based departmental calendar system and writing SSI, PHP and shell scripts on Unix.
- Winner of Philips sponsored prize for Software Engineering 2000 with a group project to make a chat server.
- Development of the i-scream distributed central monitoring system. This project started in September 2000 and uses CORBA, Java, XML, PHP and a range of other technologies to bring multi-platform system monitoring to a scalable number of Unix and Windows systems.
- Employed by the University of Kent to create a framework for network testing in Java with autonomous hosts and remote scripting support.
- Winner of the 2001 Institution Prize from the Institution of Electrical Engineers for being the best overall student in the final year of an IEE accredited Honours degree course in either the Electronic Engineering or the Computing Laboratories of the University of Kent at Canterbury, 2001.
- Representative for postgraduate computer science research students at the University of Kent.
- 18 months assisting radio show production at Ashford Hospital Broadcasting Service.
- Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.2.
- Author of the popular PircBot Java IRC API, and other open source programs available from http://www.jibble.org.
- Elected as a Full Member of the Chartered Institute of Journalists.
- Author of: IRC Hacks. Paul Mutton. 432 pages. ISBN 059600687X. O'Reilly, August 2004. http://www.jibble.org/irchacks/.
- Contributor to: Google Hacks, 2nd Edition. Tara Calishain & Rael Dornfest. ISBN 0596008570. O'Reilly, December 2004. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/googlehks2/
Peer and Editor Reviewed Publications
- Inferring and Visualizing Social Networks on Internet Relay Chat. Paul Mutton. To be published in Eighth International Conference on Information Visualization (IV04). IEEE. July 2004.
- Dynamic Euler Diagram Drawing. Peter Rodgers, Paul Mutton and Jean Flower. To be published in Proceedings IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (VL/HCC'04). IEEE. September 2004.
- Semantic Web Interaction on Internet Relay Chat. Jennifer Golbeck and Paul Mutton. In Proceedings of Interaction Design on the Semantic Web. May 2004.
- Drawing Graphs in Euler Diagrams. Paul Mutton, Peter Rodgers, and Jean Flower. In Alan Blackwell, Kim Marriot, and Atsushi Shimojima, editors, Diagrams 2004, LNAI 2980, pages 66-81. Springer-Verlag, March 2004.
- PircBot 1.2.5 Java IRC API: Have fun with Java. Paul Mutton. Java Developer's Journal, 8(12):26-32, December 2003.
- Visualization of semantic metadata and ontologies. Paul Mutton and Jennifer Golbeck. In Seventh International Conference on Information Visualization (IV03), pages 300-305. IEEE, July 2003.
- Visualizing Weighted Edges in Graphs. Peter Rodgers and Paul Mutton. In Seventh International Conference on Information Visualization (IV03), pages 258-263. IEEE, July 2003.
- Layout Metrics for Euler Diagrams. Jean Flower, Peter Rodgers, and Paul Mutton. In Seventh International Conference on Information Visualization (IV03), pages 272-280. IEEE, January 2003.
- Demonstration of a Preprocessor for the Spring Embedder. Paul Mutton and Peter Rodgers. In GD 2002, LNCS 2528, pages 374-375, August 2002.
- Spring Embedder Preprocessing for WWW Visualization. Paul Mutton and Peter Rodgers. In Proceedings Information Visualization 2002. IVS, IEEE, July 2002.
- Intershot Ltd. August 2005 - present.
- Netcraft Ltd. September 2004 - present.
Internet Services Developer. Web application penetration testing and security consultancy.
- University of Kent. September 2001 - August 2004.
Research Postgraduate. Also employed to teach Java to undergraduates and postgraduates.
- University of Kent at Canterbury. June 2001 - September 2001.
Assistant Programmer. Tasked to create an autonomous framework for network testing in Java.
- University of Kent at Canterbury. July 2000 - March 2001.
Summer Internship (continuing part-time). General work on the Computer Science web site.
- Marley Plumbing and Drainage. July 1997 - April 2000.
Employed during university vacations to build and maintain an e-commerce web site.
- Marley Extrusions Ltd. June 1998 - October 1998.
Central Accounts and Payroll Assistant.
- Prior to June 1998: Temporary clerical work at Marley Extrusions' distribution warehouse; work experience at Planit International Ltd; one year of voluntary community service as a classroom assistant at Willesborough Infants School; part-time warehouse picker at Argos Distributors Ltd; work experience with engineers Knight Piésold Ltd; 18 months assisting radio show production at Ashford Hospital Broadcasting Service.
Sports and Hobbies
I participate in a variety of sports including table tennis, in which I have competed at local league level. I also enjoy ten-pin bowling, trampolining, basketball and cycling on a recreational level. I operate my own photography business - Intershot Ltd - which sells stock photography from media and sporting events and weddings. I like to create visualizations of social networks and create autonomous clients for Internet Relay Chat, which paved the way to writing a book about IRC in my spare time.
Search this site
Copyright Paul Mutton 2001-2010